On this page
Key points about Business Phone troubleshooting
- If all devices (phones, fax and POS) are down follow the steps below to troubleshoot the Shaw phone terminal.
- Phone line issues can sometimes mean the phone terminal doesn’t have power, is not online or is frozen
- Understanding a few phone terminal basics can help save time in getting your phone system back up and running.
- We suggest you set up temporary call forwarding while you are troubleshooting. Use My Shaw to set up Call Forward to another line or to Voicemail.
Find the phone terminal
Your phone terminal Is usually in your electrical room or back wall by your electrical panel, but may be located in a cupboard or other room. Shaw Business Phone plans will use one of the following phone terminals:
Check for power
If lights don’t display on the front of the terminal, you may have a power issue. The lights are on the opposite side of the terminal from where the cords plug in.
- Unplug and then immediately plug in the power cord, both the end in the wall outlet and on the back of the phone terminal.
- Check again for lights on the front of the terminal.
- If lights still don’t display, plug a phone charger or any other handy electrical device into the same wall outlet currently being used by the phone terminal.
- If that wall outlet doesn’t provide power to the other electrical device, then the wall outlet needs to be fixed.
- Temporarily plug the phone terminal power cord into another wall outlet.
- Call an electrician. Shaw Business technicians can’t fix power issues.
- If the wall outlet does provide power to the other electrical device, but lights don’t return to the phone terminal, then the terminal needs to be fixed. Contact technical support.
Check if the phone terminal is online
If you don't have a solid green 'Online' light, you may have a signal issue. This light is located on the front of the terminal. It doesn’t matter what the other lights are doing, just look for the light specifically labelled 'Online'.
- Check your other Shaw services (tv & internet). If other services work, continue with these steps. If not, contact Technical Support.
- Unplug and then immediately plug in the coaxial (screw-on) cable connections on the wall, phone terminal and any splitters in between.
- Reset the phone terminal (see reset instructions).
- If the online light still doesn’t go solid after several minutes, contact technical support.
Reset the phone terminal
If your phone lines do not work but the phone terminal has power and is online, it may be frozen and need to be reset. The best fix is to fully disconnect the power, both by removing the power cord and the battery backup. There is a reset button on the terminal, but this should only be used if disconnecting the power is too difficult.
How to use the power cycle option: (preferred)
- TM602G, TM604G, TM608G & SBV5220 Models:
- Unplug the power cable on the back of the phone terminal
- Remove the battery:
- TM602G, TM604G & SBV5220: Find the battery at the bottom of the unit, latch toward front.
- TM608G: Find the battery at the front end of the unit under the lights, latch at the end.
- Check that the terminal’s lights go out. The lights are located at the front of the terminal.
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Reinstall the battery, and reconnect the power cable.
- Wait for the 'Online' light on the front of the terminal to turn solid green.
- Test your phone line for a dial tone, and make a test outbound call and a test inbound call.
- TM508A model:
- Locate the “On/Off” power switch on the right edge near the power cord plug.
How to use the reset button option:
- Locate the reset pin-hole on the back of your phone terminal, located near the coaxial (screw-on) cable connections.
Watch the video tutorial below for a detailed walk through of the pin-hole reset option.