On this page
Key points about Shaw email options
- Use free @shaw.ca email addresses, or subscribe to Shaw Hosting for customized domain email addresses like firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Using Shaw’s outgoing email settings for non-Shaw email addresses is not supported and not recommended for authentication and security reasons.
@shaw.ca email addresses
- Check community.shaw.ca for Email setup instructions for individual devices and email programs
- Always use authentication to reduce chances that sent emails get blocked or junked by the recipient’s email server.
- Always use encryption to protect messages and passwords from being easily viewed by others.
- Update your older weak passwords for security:
- Weak passwords make your email account vulnerable to hackers, and any hacked email address will cause a temporary suspension of access.
- Visit My Shaw to update passwords.
- Look for email management under “My Profile.”
- For best security, new password feedback should say “Secure.”
- Use the following chart to determine the settings according to the server option you choose: (See How to choose between POP, IMAP, or Exchange servers below.)
|POP||pop.shaw.ca||995||username (no @shaw.ca)||TLS when available, SSL otherwise|
|IMAP||imap.shaw.ca||993||username (no @shaw.ca)||TLS when available, SSL otherwise|
|SMTP||mail.shaw.ca||587||username (no @shaw.ca)||TLS when available, SSL otherwise|
|Exchange||wm.shaw.ca||-||username (no @shaw.ca)||Automatically On|
Hosted domain email addresses
Shaw Hosting provides a self-managed service that includes many online resources to help with domain email setup.
See ' Hosted email server settings & setup instructions' for more help with your Shaw Hosting email addresses.
How to choose between POP, IMAP, or Exchange email settings
You need to choose between different types of servers when you set up your email account.
There are a few key questions to ask to help you make the right choice:
- Do you want your list of emails to automatically update to more than one device when you read, delete or move an email to another folder? Choose IMAP setup or Exchange setup.
- Do you want to synchronize contacts, calendars and reminders across more than one device? Choose Exchange setup.
- Are you the only person looking at this email account, or do other people use the account too? If multiple people need to access the email account, choose IMAP setup or Exchange setup.
This chart can help make your decision:
|Server Type||Synchronize Emails?||Synchronize Contacts, Calendars and Reminders?||Other Comments|
|POP||No||No||Grabs a copy of your email messages to save on the local device. The email program is set to either leave a copy on the server or delete the message from the server (based on that program's settings).|
|IMAP||Yes||No||Synchronizes emails with the server/webmail and any other IMAP or Exchange devices.|
|Exchange||Yes||Yes||Availability varies by device. Most secure option.|
There are a few more key points to consider to help you make the right choice:
- Synchronized accounts depend on messages being in the server/webmail so any POP setup should keep messages on the server or else they will disappear from Webmail/IMAP/Exchange.
- It may be best that at least one PC gets messages via POP to prevent any unintended loss of emails. Since POP doesn't sync with the server, if an account gets compromised messages could be lost from the server but messages on a POP device will never disappear from that POP device.
- For complicated setups, you may be best to consult your IT person for more advice.
Using non-Shaw email accounts
Shaw Business only supports and troubleshoots delivery from @shaw.ca or Shaw Hosting email addresses. The outgoing delivery of non-Shaw email accounts cannot be guaranteed through Shaw SMTP servers as we have no ability verify the sender's authenticity.
- These unauthenticated attempts can result in sending limits, failed delivery without failure notifications, or emails tagged as suspicious/junk by the recipient’s mail server. Unauthenticated email sending is totally unreliable, so it is not recommended and not supported.
Non Shaw Emails
- For third-party hosted domains, contact the provider. Virtually every email hosting service these days are happy to give you the authenticated outbound SMTP settings to use for their email service. This will improve the reliability of your email getting to the recipients quickly and with less chance of being tagged as junk/spam.
- If you use an on-site mail server for your own domain it will be important to maintain your own outbound mail settings, spam filtration and security. Shaw Business won’t assist in maintaining your on-site mail server. Consulting an IT person may be needed for the configuration, security and patching of your on-site server.
- If you have a static IP, Shaw Business will assist with Creating PTR Records, sometimes known as reverse DNS. This will help point back to your email server for authentication purposes.