On this page
Compatible phone systems
Before trying to connect directly to your phone terminal, make sure you have an analog phone, not a PBX. Many multi-line office phones from Nortel, Toshiba, Cisco and others are known as PBX. PBX phones cannot be plugged into your phone terminal and doing so could damage your phones. If your phones are a PBX system, you can still plug any faxes or phone-connected payment terminals into the phone terminal for testing purposes.
See PBX vs. analog phone systems for more information.
Identifying the 'Tel 1/2' port on your phone terminal
In order to connect your phone directly to your phone terminal, you will need to identify the Tel 1/2 port on the back of your phone terminal. These will be located in different places depending on the model of your phone terminal. Use the images below to identify what model of phone terminal you have and where this port is located.
- ArrisTM502G/TM602G: connect phone line direct to Tel 1/2.
- Arris TM604G: connect phone line direct to Tel 1/2.
- Motorola SBV5220: Connect phone line direct to Tel 1/2.
- Arris TM608G & TM508A: There is no way to easily connect directly to these models.
Connecting to the Shaw phone terminal
Once you have located where the Tel1/2 is on your phone terminal:
- Disconnect one of your phones from the wall outlet, and place it next to your phone terminal.
- On the back of your phone terminal, locate the phone cord. This will be the only cord with a push-tab release (generally in clear plastic), and will be connected into the port labelled Tel1/2.
- Remove this phone cord from its port on your phone.
- Connect your analog phone directly to the now-empty Tel1/2 port on the back of your phone terminal.
- Test this phone for a dial tone. If you have a dial tone, then you have successfully bypassed a problem with the internal building wiring. Contact Shaw technical support for additional assistance in solving your building wiring issue.
- If you still have no dial tone, your phone terminal may need to be reset. If so, refer to Reset the Phone Terminal for more help.
- If you’re still unable to hear a dial tone after trying the reset, contact Shaw technical support for additional assistance.