On this page
Currently supported versions
Shaw Hosting only supports PHP 5.6 and above for all new and existing hosted websites. Effective March 1, 2017, our hosting platform no longer supported legacy PHP versions 4, 5.2, and 5.3.
Coming soon: On March 1, 2018, we will begin upgrading customers to PHP 7.1, but will continue supporting v5.6 until March 2019 if you specify v5.6 in phpMyAdmin.
Testing your site with PHP7, & temporary rollback to v5.6 if needed
Important: PHP 5.6 will only be supported until March 2019. If you rollback to PHP5.6, you must update your site to support PHP 7 before then or your site will cease to function. If unsure how to do these steps, contact your web developer for assistance.
- Open shawhosting.ca, select 'Log in' and sign into your domain on 'Website & Hosting' side.
- Select 'Advanced Tools' from top right menu or button below.
- Select 'Utilities' tab, then open 'php Manager'.
- In new window, select 'PHP7-CGI', then press 'Apply'.
- Test your website to verify it works as needed.
- If your website isn't working as expected, you can rollback to PHP 5.6:
- Follow above steps to open PHP Manager, and downgrade by selecting 'PHP5-CGI', then press 'Apply'.
- Test your site again.
- Look into your compatibility issues with PHP7 to make sure your website is ready for the March 2019 cutoff of v5.6 support.
Joomla version update
PHP7 requires updating Joomla to 3.8.5.
Wordpress version update
PHP7 requires updating Wordpress to 4.9.4.