If your phone lines do not work but the phone terminal has power and is online, it may be frozen and may need to be reset.
Checking Shaw equipment
Did you know that if your business phones are down you can set up temporary call forward while you are troubleshooting? Use My Shaw to set up Call Forward to another line or to your voicemail service.
Reasons why your Shaw phone terminal may not work:
- If you have no dial tone on all devices (i.e., phones, fax, and POS) the Shaw phone terminal may be disconnected or offline.
- If all devices (phones, fax and POS) are down follow the steps below to troubleshoot the Shaw phone terminal.
- Phone line issues can sometimes mean the phone terminal doesn’t have power, is not online or is frozen
Understanding a few phone terminal basics can help save time in getting your phone system back up and running. The first step in troubleshooting is to locate your phone terminal.
Your phone terminal is usually in your electrical room or on the back wall by your electrical panel, but may be located in a cupboard or other room. Use the Hardware guide listed below to indentify your model.
Check for power on the phone terminal
If lights don’t display on the front of the terminal, you may have a power issue. The lights are on the opposite side of the terminal from where the cords plug in.
Follow these steps if there are no lights on the terminal.
- Unplug and then immediately plug in the power cord from both ends, including the end in the wall outlet and the end on the back of the phone terminal.
- Check again for lights on the front of the terminal.
- If lights still don’t display, plug a phone charger or any other handy electrical device into the same wall outlet currently being used by the phone terminal.
- If that wall outlet doesn’t provide power to the other electrical device, then the wall outlet needs to be fixed.
- Temporarily plug the phone terminal power cord into another wall outlet.
- Call an electrician. Shaw Business technicians can’t fix power issues.
- If the wall outlet does provide power to the other electrical device, but lights don’t return to the phone terminal, then the terminal needs to be fixed. Contact Business Technical Support.
Check if the phone terminal is online
If you don't have a solid green Online light, you may have a signal issue. This light is located on the front of the terminal.
Check your other Shaw services (i.e., TV, Internet). If other services work, continue with these steps. If not, contact Business Technical Support.
- Unplug and then plug in the coaxial (screw-on) cable connections on the wall, phone terminal, and any splitters in between.
- Reset the phone terminal.
- If the online light still doesn’t go solid after several minutes, contact Technical Support.
Reset the phone terminal
If your phone lines do not work but the phone terminal has power and is online, it may be frozen and may need to be reset. The best fix is to fully disconnect the power by removing both the power cord and the battery backup. There is a reset button on the terminal, but this should only be used if disconnecting the power is too difficult.
How to use the power cycle option (preferred)
TM602G, TM604G, TM608G, and SBV5220 models:
- Unplug the power cable on the back of the phone terminal.
- Remove the battery:
- TM602G, TM604G, and SBV5220: Find the battery at the bottom of the unit, latch toward front.
- TM608G: Find the battery at the front end of the unit under the lights, latch at the end.
- Check that the terminal’s lights go out. The lights are located at the front of the terminal.
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Reinstall the battery and reconnect the power cable.
- Wait for the 'Online' light on the front of the terminal to turn solid green.
- Test your phone line for a dial tone, and place a test outbound call and a test inbound call.
Locate the On/Off power switch on the right edge near the power cord plug.
Turn the power switch off and verify the lights go out.
Wait 30 seconds.
Turn the power switch back on.
Wait for the Online light on the front of the terminal to turn solid green.
Test your phone line for a dial tone and place a test outbound call and a test inbound call.
How to use the reset button option
- Locate the reset pinhole on the back of your phone terminal, located near the coaxial (screw-on) cable connections.
- Gently depress the reset button for 30 seconds with a pencil or paperclip.
- Let go of the reset button and wait for one to three minutes. The 'Online' light on the front of the terminal should turn solid green.
- Test your phone line for a dial tone.
- Place a test outbound call and a test inbound call.
Watch the video tutorial below for a detailed walkthrough.
If none of these steps work call Business Technical Support for further troubleshooting.
One of the following models will be installed, typically in your electrical room or on the back wall by your electrical panel.
Arris TM602G Phone Terminal
Arris TM608G Phone Terminal
Arris TM604G Phone Terminal
Arris TM508A Phone Terminal