Learn how to troubleshoot Shaw Business TV issues such as being unable to change the TV channel as a result of remote control, digital box or subscription issues.
Remote Control Issues
If your business has more than one Shaw remote, check to see if the other remotes work in the affected room. If other normally-working remotes don’t work in this room, skip to Step 4. If other Shaw remotes work where the original one fails, review the first three steps below.
- Check wear and tear: Check if the buttons on the remote are worn out. Remote controls have lights at the top that will light up when any button is pressed. If certain buttons don’t cause this light to react, the buttons are worn out and a replacement remote is needed.
- Change the batteries: When the battery power is low, the Shaw remote will not function optimally; it may still be able to communicate with the Digital Box intermittently, or not at all. Replace the batteries with a new set to check whether this resolves the issue. Ensure that the batteries are placed into the battery compartment correctly.
- Reprogram Shaw remote: Shaw remotes are designed to control the TV’s volume and power, as well as the Digital Box for channels, guide, power, etc. If only some functions don’t work and the buttons aren’t worn out, the remote likely needs reprogramming. Follow the steps on the back side of the remote to reprogram it.
- Signal interference issues: Verify that there’s a good line of sight between the remote and the Digital Box. Also check whether there's an IR tether cord, which will look like a small black plastic ball on a cord and is used to control the Digital Box without requiring a direct line of sight. If there is an IR tether, try repositioning the ball to be in view of the remote. The IR tether will look something like this:
How to fix an unresponsive digital box
If changing the channel becomes slow or unresponsive, the Digital Box may need to be reset by doing a 30-second power cycle.
- Unplug the power cable on the back of equipment.
- Verify that the lights go out.
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the power cable.
- Test the Digital Box again. Newer boxes with a display on the front will take a few minutes to load up. They’ll show the current time on the front once they’re ready to be turned on again.
Channel subscription issues
If you cannot tune in to specific channels, there may be a subscription issue. Please note that most new Digital Boxes include a smart guide that won't show every channel in the area, but rather only those that are subscribed to. The smart guide boxes will also automatically replace duplicate SD and HD channel listings with a single channel number to simplify the guide. Check this by scrolling through the guide to find the missing channel. If not found, please call in to verify the channel subscription and troubleshoot further if necessary.