When setting up a PTR record, keep these points in mind:
- PTRs can only be requested for static IPs.
- No more than 1 PTR can exist per IP address. If you need to create multiple records, you'll need to request enough static IPs for each A record you need a PTR for.
- No more than 1 IP can exist per A record. If you create multiple identical A records to go to different IPs, you'll lower your reputation as systems only look at the first matching record, and activity sent through the other IP will be seen as not legitimate. Instead, you can make different A records for each IP.
- The A record must be in place before requesting a PTR. Check your A record with MXToolbox's 'DNS Lookup' tool before requesting a PTR.
- Requests can take up to 2 business days once processed. The completion can be verified by going to MXToolbox's 'Reverse Lookup' tool.
Submitting PTR requests
Follow these steps after reading the PTR rules above to ensure a smooth PTR request.
- Verify your A record is in place with MXToolbox's 'DNS Lookup'. The listing must match exactly what you're about to request.
- Submit our online 'Request support' option, making sure to list your account number, security code, and the A record and static IP for each PTR required.
- You'll receive an email follow up with the status of your request, and any further information required to complete your request.
- Check that your PTR is in place by using MXToolbox's 'Reverse Lookup' tool.