Learn how to troubleshoot no dial tone issues with your handset, POS terminal or fax machines. Browse our Shaw Business Support articles for additional details.
How to troubleshoot no dial tone
No dial tone issues can be a result of an outlet that is not wired correctly or device malfunction.
If you are encountering no dial tone on a single device, you’ll want to test the outlet by following these steps:
- Disconnect your devices from the outlet.
- If you have another handset that you have confirmed is working, connect it to the same outlet.
- Lift the receiver and confirm there is dial tone.
- Make a call and ensure that you and the person you called are able to hear each other both ways and that the line is clear from static or robotic noise.
- If there is no dial tone, call Technical Support for further assistance.
- If there is a dial tone, read on for further steps on how to troubleshoot your device.
No dial tone on your individual handset
To troubleshoot no dial tone on your handset, reconnect your device to the working outlet and follow these steps:
- Reconnect the telephone cord from the handset/base station and re-test.
- If the phone is cordless, ensure the battery is charged and the handset has power.
- If the LED display says Out of range, power cycle the base station and re-test.
- Disable the phone's call screening or direct-to-voicemail option.
- Normally, this should not affect your ability to obtain a dial tone or make outbound calls, but on some more simple handsets, this feature actually disables the phone’s dial tone, thereby affecting incoming and outgoing calls. Please ensure that no such feature is enabled. If your phone does have a screening feature enabled, please disable it and test again.
If none of these steps work, contact your handset provider for further assistance. In the meantime, you can use My Shaw online or the phone portal app on mobile phones to set up temporary call forwarding. Details on How to set up and use Call Forward for your business phone.
No dial tone on your Point of Sale terminal
- Ensure there is power to your Point of Sale (POS) terminal.
- If the POS terminal has power, restart it and re-test.
- If the issue persists, unplug the power to the POS terminal and wait 30 seconds. Plug it back in, and after it reboots, you can test it again.
- For Shaw, phone lines have to be requested when a line goes off-hook to be used for a call. While this takes less than a second, it can take long enough that numbers dialled too quickly get missed and the calls don’t connect.
- This challenge can be countered by logging in to your POS settings menu and programming in a 'dialling delay'. In this case, the device may be programmed as on/off, as short/medium/long, or with a millisecond delay. If you are unsure how to do this, contact your POS provider for more information.
If none of these steps restore the dial tone/connectivity to your POS terminal, call your POS provider as there may be a configuration error on your device. If the POS provider advises that there are no issues on their end, call Shaw Technical Support for further assistance.
More tips and tricks for POS issues can be found on Why doesn't my Point of Sale work with my business phone?
No dial tone on your fax machine
If you have determined that your power outlet is working with another device, follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue:
- Unplug the power from your fax machine, wait 30 seconds, and then plug it back in. Re-test.
- Check the baud rate, which should be set to 9600 kbps.
- If your fax machine still has no dial tone, call Shaw Business Technical Support for further assistance. We may need to book a service call to ensure the line quality is optimal.
If none of these steps restore dial tone, there may be a configuration issue on your fax machine or it is malfunctioning.Contact your fax machine manufacturer for further assistance.