Learn some simple ways to quickly determine what is causing some of the most common phone issues such as no dial tone or poor voice quality with these support tips.
How to determine Business phone wiring issues
If you are experiencing no dial tone on all of your devices, read Why isn't my Rogers Business phone service working? to ensure the phone terminal isn’t offline. If the phone terminal is showing online with the correct light sequence, continue with the steps below.
You may experience poor voice quality on the lines or even no dial tone at all when there is a problem with phone wiring.
- Poor voice quality on calls can be described as the following:
- One way path (i.e., caller hears you but you can’t hear them)
All devices affected
If all devices are affected and you have regular analog phone lines, chances are the issue will either be with the wiring, or possibly with the phone terminal, even if it is showing online. Either will require a service call. To determine what the issue is, follow these steps:
- Disconnect one device from the outlet, leaving the phone cable attached to the device.
- Connect the handset directly to phone terminal (see How to connect a phone directly to the phone terminal for instructions).
- If the issue is resolved, there's likely to be a problem with wiring in the entire office.
- If you have regular analog phones, contact Rogers Business Technical Support to book a service call. Let the representative know that you took these steps to troubleshoot the issue and have determined that it is a wiring issue.
- If you have a PBX system, skip to the section PBX systems below.
- If the issue is not resolved, contact Technical Support for further assistance.
Only one device affected
- Disconnect the affected device from the outlet, leaving the phone cable attached to the device, and connect it to a known working outlet.
- If the issue is resolved, the issue is with the wiring to that specific outlet.
- If you have regular analog phones, contact Rogers Business Technical Support to book a service call. Let the representative know that you took these steps to troubleshoot the issue and have determined that it is an issue with the wiring to one specific outlet.
- If you have a PBX system, skip to the section PBX systems.
- If the issue persists, try a different phone cable. If that doesn't fix it, then the issue is likely to be with the device itself. Read No Dial tone on One Device to find out how to troubleshoot no dial tone on specific devices.
When there is a PBX system installed, Rogers is only able to help with troubleshooting some of the wiring issues.
- Rogers' responsibility: Coax wiring up to the Rogers phone terminal.
- Shared responsibility: Phone wiring from the Rogers phone terminal to the PBX system. As Rogers doesn't charge for service calls to investigate Rogers-handled wiring, call us to verify the wiring between our phone terminal and your PBX system.
- IT or interconnect company's responsibility: Anything from the PBX system, phone handsets, and wiring that connects the phones would need to be handled by your IT person or the interconnect company that manages your PBX system.
Learn more on Understanding PBX vs analog phone systems.