Here you will find best practices on how to update your business security record and contact information and how Shaw Business uses this information to keep you secure and informed.
What is a Security Record?
Your security record helps us protect your businsess and personal information by ensuring we know who is allowed to call in for account changes.
Your security record on file with us contains the following information:
- Security Code
- Static IP information (if applicable)
- Account Number
- Primary administrator & technical contact(s):
- Full Name
- Phone number
- Note: Technical contacts (optional, used only for Maintenance Notifications):
When is the security code required?
When account details or a change to service(s) is requested for your account you will be asked to confirm you are the account owner. We will ask for the security code on file for the following types of requests:
- Account-specific information, such as the account number, address, or phone number.
- Request to change product packaging, contact information, passwords, or any other account details.
- Setting up call forwarding or changes to phone settings.
- Static IP add, change, or removal requests, including PTR/reverse DNS records.
- Adding new equipment to an account.
When verification isn't needed
Verification isn't needed for anything that's general and can be done without seeing the account.
- Information about plan options.
- General troubleshooting of services that doesn't require providing account details:
- Setting up a static IP (as long as you know the static IP).
- TV troubleshooting (excluding adding additional equipment to an account).
- Phone issues (excluding changing a voicemail PIN, setting up call forwarding, or any other account changes).
How to Update your Security Record
- To request an update to your current security record, have the primary contact us with the account number and current security code.
- Note what you would like to change (i.e. Primary contact).
- Once this is received, a Business Support representative will make the changes and resend the security record back to you for review.
- Verify that all the changes you needed were made, replying back if any further updates are needed.
Forgotten Security Code
If you have forgotten or misplaced your security code, we can send it again to the primary email address listed on your security record with us. Just send us a request on our Contact Us page.
Formal request option If you have never had a security code or no longer have access to the listed email address or fax number and can't remember your security code, you'll need to make a formal request to update your record:
- Contact Technical Support about updating your record.
- Technical Support will reply back with a Case number and what is required to update your security record (as shown below).
- Create formal request document.
- The document must be printed on company letterhead (if you don’t have a letterhead, please make one).
- The document must be typed out (hand written requests will not be accepted).
- Include all listed details in the request document:
- Account number.
- Case number from Step 1.
- Six-digit security code: Create a six-digit code. (Use numeric characters only; no letters. The code will be required to make account changes or provide account details. Share this code only with authorized personnel.)
- Statement authorizing the passing/exchanging of information on the account.
- Company contacts: Include names, positions, email addresses, direct phone numbers, and fax numbers.
- Primary contact (required, only 1): Should be someone with signing authority for the company.
- Technical contacts (optional, up to 4): Not emailed a security code but will receive all other account information, including the account number.
- Note: All contacts also receive maintenance notifications.
- Print the completed document on company letterhead and have the primary contact add their signature of authorization.
- Scan the signed document and send reply back with the attached document.
- Once we update your security record, we will send you a copy for your records.
It might be a day or two before we can get back to you. For urgent requests, after following the above steps, call Business Technical Support with your Case number so we can look into it for you .