Here you will find best practices on how to update your business security record and contact information and how Shaw Business uses this information to keep you secure and informed.
Key Points & when the security code or verification is needed or not
- A security record ensures Shaw knows who is allowed to call in for account changes.
- Requests to change your account or retrieve account information will require providing the Shaw representative with your security code.
- Planned maintenance that could cause downtime will be sent as an email notification to the contacts listed on your file (more information found in Maintenance Notifications).
- Your security record on file with us contains the following information:
- Primary administrator contact.
- Six-digit security number.
- Technical contacts (optional, used only for Maintenance Notifications)
- Static IP information (if applicable).
When is the security code required?
- When account details or a change to service is requested for the account it must first be verified by a Shaw Business representative.
- Account-specific information, such as the account number, address, or phone number.
- Request to change product packaging, contact information, passwords, or any other account details.
- Setting up call forwarding or changes to phone settings.
- Static IP add, change, or removal requests, including PTR/reverse DNS records.
- Adding new equipment to an account.
When verification isn't needed
- Verification isn't needed for anything that's general and can be done without seeing the account.
- Information about new plan options.
- General troubleshooting of services that doesn't require providing account details:
- Guide through email configuration (where the customer knows his/her username and password).
- TV troubleshooting (excluding adding additional equipment to an account).
- Phone issues (excluding changing a voicemail PIN, setting up call forwarding, or any other account changes).
Updating your security file
To request an update to your security file, have the primary contact send an email to email@example.com that includes the account number and current security code. Ensure the email contains all the information that is needed for the desired changes. Once this is received, a Business Support representative will make the changes and then resend the security file for review. Verify that all the changes you needed were made, replying back if any further updates are needed.
Forgotten or no existing security code
If you have forgotten or misplaced your security code, we can send it again to the primary email address listed on your security file with us.
Formal request option If you have never had a security code or no longer have access to the listed email address or fax number on your security file and can't remember your security code, you'll need to make a formal request to update your record:
- Contact Technical Support about updating your record and get a case number.
- Create formal request document.
- The document must be printed on company letterhead (if you don’t have a letterhead, please make one).
- The document must be typed out (hand written requests will not be accepted).
- Include all listed details in the request document:
- Account number.
- Case number from Step 1.
- Six-digit security code: Create a six-digit code. (Use numeric characters only; no letters. The code will be required to make account changes or provide account details. Share this code only with authorized personnel.)
- Statement authorizing the passing/exchanging of information on the account.
- Company contacts: Include names, positions, email addresses, direct phone numbers, and fax numbers.
- Primary contact (required, only 1): Should be someone with signing authority for the company.
- Technical contacts (optional, up to 4): Not emailed a security code but will receive all other account information, including the account number.
- Note: All contacts also receive maintenance notifications.
- Print the completed document on company letterhead and have the primary contact add their signature of authorization.
- Scan the signed document and send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For urgent requests, after following the above steps, call Business Technical Support and advise what email address you sent from.