Learn how to manage your WiFi network with these tips from Shaw Business Support. SmartWiFi includes a private and guest wireless network to help maintain security.
Private vs. guest WiFi basics
You can manage the most frequently required settings from your Meraki Dashboard, with additional optional settings available through Business Technical Support. Private network
- Use only for essential workplace devices to help maintain security.
- Devices can communicate, conduct network file transfers, and print to network printers with all
- devices on the same private network via WiFi and Ethernet-connected devices.
- No speed limits by default. Contact Business Technical Support to modify speed settings.
- Use for personal devices and guest devices.
- Provides direct Internet access with no device-to-device communication.
- Speeds are limited to ensure the private network runs faster for essential work devices. Contact
- Business Technical Support to modify speed settings.
How to manage your SmartWiFi wireless settings
To manage your wireless settings:
- Go to dashboard.meraki.com and log in.
- Go to Network and select Wireless settings.
- Here you can manage the settings for both your private and guest networks:
- SSID: Manage private and guest networks. Private network is always at top of list and guest network is at the bottom.
- SSID name: Rename the network you selected to manage above.
- Enabled: Allows disabling or re-enabling of your private or guest network. Usually you would want both enabled.
- Encryption settings: This refers to the security of your network. - Open: It's best to never use the 'Open' option, even for guest networks. This leaves your traffic more vulnerable to being visible to others. - Encrypted password: Always use this option, even for guest networks. A simple option for guest networks is your phone number, or something equally simple. - Choose a password type: Always use 'WPA2', as recommended.
- Splash page: For information on this option, see our support article How to set up a SmartWiFi Splash Page
Additional wireless network options for SmartWiFi
SmartWiFi includes additional options for businesses that are free to manage by contacting Business Technical Support:
- Wireless speeds: Manage download and upload speeds of private and guest networks. Find more information on wireless speeds in our article Manage your WiFi speed limits.
- Time of day restrictions: Manage when users can access your private and guest networks.