On this page
Listed below are the settings that should be used regardless of what program or device you are wanting to access your email with.
|POP||mail.domain* (or mail.shawhosting.ca)||110||full email address, password||None|
|IMAP||mail.domain* (or mail.shawhosting.ca)||143||full email address, password||None|
|SMTP (Outgoing)||mail.domain* (or mail.shawhosting.ca)||1025||full email address, password||None|
*mail.domain will only work properly if your NS & DNS records are correct. To verify, please see our article 'Shaw Hosting NS & DNS Settings'.
How to choose between POP, IMAP, or Exchange servers
|Server Type||Synchronize Emails?||Synchronize Contacts, Calendars & Reminders||Other Comments|
|POP||No||No||Grabs a copy of your email messages to save on the local device. The email program is set to either leave a copy on the server or delete the message from the server (based on that program's settings).*|
|IMAP||Yes||No||Synchronizes emails with the server/webmail and any other IMAP/Exchange devices.|
There are a few more key points to consider to help you make the right choice:
- Synchronized accounts depend on messages being in the server/webmail so any POP setup should keep messages on the server or else they will disappear from Webmail/IMAP/Exchange.
- It may be best that at least one PC gets messages via POP to prevent any unintended loss of emails. Since POP doesn't sync with the server, if an account gets compromised messages could be lost from the server but messages on a POP device will never disappear from that POP device.
- For complicated setups, it may be best to consult your IT person for more advice.
Computer email program setup
- Log in with your email address and password at webmail.yourdomain.com or webmail.shawhosting.ca
- More information about using webmail can be found on Using Shaw Hosting Webmail.
- Shaw Hosting restricts foreign access to POP, IMAP, and SMTP servers. This precaution is in place to avoid spam and other security issues. Only Webmail will work by default outside of Canada & USA. It is highly recommended to use only webmail when travelling abroad. Contact Shaw Hosting Support if you need to access email through your email program while you’re away.