Your self-connect kit provides you with everything you need to setup your new modem - no appointments, no setup fees, no hassles. Whether you are upgrading from a previous model, or a new Internet customer, watch the videos below and read the instructions to learn how to setup your new modem. There is also some additional setup information; and for upgrades, e-cycling resources for your old modem; below.
How to self-connect your Hitron modem
*Note: This video & user guide reference upgrading from a prior model, but many of the steps are identical if you are setting up your first Shaw Modem.
How to: Connect - The Basics
Unpacking your new modem:
- Inside the box you should find:
- Your modem, a power cord, a coax cable, and an Ethernet cable
When unpacking your new modem be sure to remove all the protective plastic film or the device may overheat.
- Your modem, a power cord, a coax cable, and an Ethernet cable When unpacking your new modem be sure to remove all the protective plastic film or the device may overheat.
Finding the right place to install your new modem:
If you are upgrading from an older model of Shaw modem, you can connect the new modem in the same location.
If you are a new customer connecting a Shaw Modem for the first time, you will need to locate a coax outlet. These can typically be found in or near:
- Electrical Rooms
- Existing networking or service equipment
Connecting your new modem
- If you are upgrading from an existing modem:
- Unplug the power, ethernet, and coax cables
- You may re-use the present ethernet or coax cables, or replace them with the ones supplied with the new modem
- Remove the existing modem
- Unplug the power, ethernet, and coax cables
- Connect a coax cable from the outlet to the back of the new modem
- Screw the cable on both ends using your fingers so it fits tightly
- Using the included power cord, plug one end into the modem and the other into a working power outlet
- If you are using any wired connections, connect the Ethernet cord to the back of the new modem
Activate: Finalize the activation by contacting Shaw Business Technical Support at 1-877-742-9249 to activate your new modem
Is it working?
- The “@” symbol is the online indicator light.
- When your modem is ready, this will turn solid green.
- The Modem will likely restart at least once, please allow at least 10 minutes before checking that the online indicator light is solid.
Do not unplug the modem during this period
Hitron modem connection ports.
Can I mount the Hitron CODA-4582 modem in any direction?
No. It must be vertically mounted or placed on a level surface. See image below. The modem must stay upright with the logo on top because the RF is at the top. If the RF is blocked then the wireless is blocked. If the fans on all sides are covered, it can cause the modem to overheat.
Note: If there in not an adequate way to orient the modem, when you call to activate your modem, let us know and we will ship a wall mount bracket to you at no charge.
How to: Set up your internet
Now that the modem is installed and online you are ready to connect to the internet.
Connecting to WiFi:
Hitron CODA-4582: The modem will not be able to access the Internet without completing Easy Connect for the first time upon bootup or factory default resets.
If you have a device wired directly to the modem you can complete Easy Connect without connecting to WiFi first.
Connect to the Internet and choose a network name and password with Easy Connect
- Using a Smartphone, Tablet, or Computer; check the settings or connection menu to ensure WiFi is turned on.
- In the list of available networks, choose the Easy Connect WiFi Network that includes the last digits of the serial number labelled on the back of the modem.
- After selecting the network, you will be prompted to enter your default key which is located on the back of the modem.
- The modem will go through the steps required to check your network settings.
Once you are connected, open a web browser and follow the on-screen Easy Connect instructions to test your connection and customize your WiFi settings
Select Let’s Go and you will be ready to set up your new WiFi network name and password.
- The network name entered here is what people will see when they want to discover and connect to your network.
- Your password must be a minimum of 8 characters long, you should choose a password that no one will easily guess.
- Note that the password you enter for the WiFi here will also be the password for the modem portal where you would log in to perform advanced configuration
- If your WiFi password is going to be shared, Shaw recommends updating the admin password after EasyConnect Setup is complete to ensure stronger security for your network.” More details on Hitron Router Settings: Administrative Password.
- After re-entering the password and selecting Confirm Setup you will have an opportunity to double check your settings before selecting Complete my Setup.
Once you have configured your network and are online you will need to update the settings on your WiFi devices with the new network name and password that you’ve configured, so that they are connected to the new network and modem.
If you have any questions or require additional support, please call Shaw Business Technical Support at 1-877-742-9249.
Connecting via Ethernet (bridged)
If your modem is bridged (WiFi disabled) your new modem won't act like a router so that you can use your own networking equipment, just as you did with your old modem.
Click on the Show More link below for more helpful tips.
- Ethernet connections: Anything plugged into the Ethernet will connect directly to the Internet. Unless you subscribe to multiple IPs, only one device should be plugged in to the modem.
- Static IP users: If your device is already configured to use a static IP, this modem swap won’t change anything. It’s a good idea to verify you’re still using the static IP address that was emailed to you when you requested your static IP. If you’ve misplaced your static IP configuration information email, contact Shaw Businsess Technical Support to request a new copy.
- Ethernet lights & Speeds: when you connect the Ethernet into the modem, it will light up.
- Orange light: means the connected device and the Ethernet is the faster gigabit standard.
- Green light: check if your device has a Gigabit Ethernet port. If it doesn’t, that device will be limited to 70-90Mbps and this won’t be a speed limitation caused by your Shaw Business equipment. If your device does have Gigabit connections but the light still only blinks green, check the Ethernet cord, which may need to be swapped out for a better cord. If you need to get a new one, find a retailer that carries Cat6 or Cat6a cords.
What should I do with my old modem?
Based on the model of your modem, you will need to recycle it or return it.
- If you have a Hitron modem (CGNM-2250) pictured below, then you need to return it.
- Please mail-in your old Hitron modem using the Canada Post return postage label, provided in your self-install kit.
If your modem does not look like the one above, you can recycle it. Visit the below sites to learn how to recycle electronics in your area.